Thursday, May 18, 2017

Lisbon Part 1

The day started with a beautiful rooftop breakfast in Faro with a breathtaking panoramic view of the city. To make an amazing morning even better, Dr. Nelson was sporting a hot pink polo shirt. I had a few more senior letters to write for our farewell banquet later that evening, so I figured I'd write them on the roof while sipping a cappuccino (there are worse ways to spend a morning). After breakfast, we hopped on the bus to Lisbon. The 4 hour journey went by fairly quickly thanks to our tour guide Marianne's insightful commentary and the idyllic landscapes we passed along the way. A perfect view of the Atlantic welcomed us to Lisbon:


We were all delighted to spend a couple of hours roaming the streets of the bustling city upon our arrival before heading to our hotel. It was also exciting to see our concert posters on almost every corner!


Our farewell banquet in the evening was definitely one of the highlights of the trip. Everyone looked so lovely that Dr. Nelson was inspired to take his first selfie! It was a revolutionary moment in Concert Choir history.


We all look very happy in this photo because it was taken BEFORE we realized we left Ashley at the hotel (oops). But all was well! We went back to get her and never went anywhere without counting off for the remainder of the trip. 

We were greeted at the banquet venue with local port wine before sitting down for dinner. In an unfortunate turn of events, Jon Easter made me laugh mid sip, causing me to spray him with my drink. I then proceeded to knock over a couple of glasses with my bag...just a few minor blips!

The private room we had reserved for the banquet was a stunning. The ornate ceiling scaffolding and chandeliers were a slight upgrade from the decor of our usual banquet venue (no offense to the Maggiano's in Buckhead). 


The way the rest of the evening unfolded is difficult to fully capture with words. As Eric handed each graduating senior their packet of handwritten letters from members of the choir, we each said a few words about what Concert Choir has meant to us over the past four years. Needless to say, there were many tears. 

Personally, I talked about how choir has served as my sanctuary throughout college; a sacred space in which my only obligation for the duration of rehearsal was to sing every note to the best of my ability. Although I'm in disbelief that it's all ending, the lasting relationships I formed because of this ensemble are irreplaceable, and I could not be more grateful. 


- Leila Varzi

Leila Varzi is a recent graduate from
the class of 2017, who double majored in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies and English


No comments:

Post a Comment